Friday, March 28, 2014

Make It Happen

   

  People put too much emphasis and expectation on numbers and years.  For instance, they say "2013 was the WORST year, good riddance," or "2014 is going to rock, I can't wait for it to get here."  I understand the ritual of the new year - saying goodbye to the old and welcoming the new, turning over a new leaf, wiping the slate clean, what have you.  But, really, it's like Janis Joplin said "it's all just the same fucking day, man!"
     I try to live my life with the philosophy that the best is yet to come.  Not to say that I'm not fully living in the moment and enjoying the now, but I never want to think that my glory days or golden years have already passed.  I want to believe that life keeps getting better and better and that there is always more to discover and experience.  I heard someone say once that happiness is always having something to look forward to - I love that.
     That being said I still fall into the trap of expecting or maybe hoping that the year to come is going to be prosperous and full of opportunity.  So far 2014 has been a slow moving year for me with seemingly nothing happening.  One of the many hats I wear is actor.  So far this year I've only had about  2 auditions, it's just slow for me.  There's not really much I can do to change that - it will turn around, it always does.  In the meantime, though, I often find myself waiting for opportunities to arise  and then feeling stuck when they don't.
     It's interesting how just a slight shift in energy can change all that.  A few weeks ago my fiancé and I had dinner with a good friend.  This friend is a hair hopper for a lot of celebs and pop stars and pretty connected with that whole world.  I thought I'd ask him if he knew of any modeling agencies that would be good for me - I had just done a print job that I had booked on my own and thought that I should be doing a lot more of that.  I haven't had an actual modeling agency since I moved to LA in 2005 but I've still managed to book quite a few modeling gigs.   Turns out one of his best friends owns a great agency and he said he'd send her my pics.  He did and I called her and now I have a meeting set up with them next week.   I suppose thats how "networking" really works.
     The other day I was at work at http://www.highvoltagetattoo.com and I was compiling an album on my iPad of all my best modeling pics to bring to my meeting (my old, janky portfolio is definitely not agent worthy.)  A woman walked in and I was prepared to talk to her about a tattoo idea when she asked me if I knew of any fully tattooed men that would be interested in a modeling gig.  My iPad with my modeling pics was literally in my hand and the screen was opened to that album.  I showed her my pics and she immediately had me email some to her so she could consult with the photographer.
     The woman is the amazing designer Julia Clancey http://www.juliaclancey.com and the photographer is the amazing Jen Starr http://www.jenstarrphoto.com. They emailed me back and a few days later we were shooting some awesome pics for Julia's jewelry line at Jen's all white oasis of an apartment in Hollywood. I was mostly naked and we had a total blast!!
     See how the slightest change in energy can make things happen? I haven't even met with the agency yet but I already booked a gig just from getting the ball rolling.  when you take steps toward any goal you move closer to achieving all your goals. The universe doesn't compartmentalize energy, once you tap into it in a positive way you move in a positive direction.  Essentially, you gotta make it happen!!

     So, since I started writing this I had my meeting with the agency and the women that run it are fabulous and they loved me.  They said some of my pictures reminded them of Tony Ward http://models.com/people/Tony-Ward - um, HELL yeah huge compliment.  I always thought that we should do a shoot together, just putting it out there.  Anyway, I now have an awesome print agent called M Model Management http://mmodelmanagement.com/home.html and it feels like a door opening!

PS I got Kate Bush tickets for 9/16/14, 6th row!!!

Top photo cred - Mario Testino http://www.mariotestino.com, can you tell which one is me?

11 comments:

  1. Make your pring larger & the grey print is hard to read also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's a pring? You're supposed to comments on the words, not the design!

      Delete
    2. pring typo s/b print. letter color looks grey a bit hard to read depending on computer graphic. Love the blog. Yes I know which one you are. Much success with M Model Management. Enjoy your adventures regardless the adventure!

      Delete
    3. Xoxo. Btw, that's my step Dad that made the prig comment, no offense taken at all. Hahaha.

      Delete
  2. That is really awesome! I belive this carma, energy thing as like you. Few years ago, I tried to get a job, and I tought that will be the best for me... I can't tought of anything else, just the work and you know They said in my country : If you holding sand palm of your hand, the sand will flows between the fingers... I convulsively want that work.... but the carma won't... We never know where is that door what will be open for us... But there is somewhere... ;) I found my door some months after that attempt, just like you. I never tought that will be that day when I'll get a job in a tattoo salon. Thank you your story, and I love your blog! Hope I will read more soon :)
    Krisztina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much!! An acting teacher told me that the things you chase always allude you and you never catch them. Sometimes letting go makes things come to you. Of course, you have to put in the footwork and have positive energy flowing. Like you said though, you never know when the door will open or where it will come from.
      Sign up at the bottom of my blog with your email address and then you will never miss any of my posts.
      xoxox

      Delete
  3. I know which one is you...and I adore this post. Send some of that positive energy my way, Handsome.
    Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, it's not just me - weird year so far. Let's turn it around. Love you.

      Delete
  4. I love positive irony! You had your iPad portfolio in your hand and in walks Julia Clancey! I love it! Now, you're on a roll.

    P.S. 6th row....so happy for you. After reading your first blog post, I know how much that means to you.

    xoxo
    Kim
    Gerushia's New World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much!! Positive irony - that's great. I appreciate you taking time to read and comment - means a lot!

      Delete