Tuesday, April 29, 2014

P.S I Love You

Photo by Sharon Ryan.

I had the privilege of spending 24 glorious hours in Palm Springs this past weekend.  No, I wasn't there for Stage Coach and no, I wasn't there for The White Party.  I was there for a much needed getaway with friends and some r & r.  There were 7 people, 5 dogs, an equal amount of outfit changes and a plethora of belly laugh.
     It's amazing how just 2 short hours away and you can feel as if you're in a completely different world. Palm Springs is nothing if not an amazing and totally wacky oasis in the desert.  For the most part the people and the decor are from a bygone Hollywood era and it's fabulous.  Kaftans, dashikis, and sequins abound and that was just my group! Apparently, every woman over a certain age that resides there was either in, at least, one old Hollywood movie or was a Playboy Playmate in the 60's, or 50's or 40's (if Playboy even existed then.)  It's an amazing sight to behold! I appreciate anyone who can pull a look together no matter what age they are. No housecoats or sweat pants for those ladies, bless their hearts.
     We were fortunate enough to go on a golf cart driven tour of Sunnylands - the over-the-top former estate of The Annenbergs. They were extremely wealthy publishing magnates, philanthropists, art collectors, and avid Republicans with a deep sense of nationalism. Whatever their politics their taste was exquisite and if you ever get the opportunity to visit their former 500 acre compound it's a must. Their furniture and art collection is mind blowing.  Van Goghs, Picassos, Monets, Cézannes - the list goes on. People throw around a lot of words like glamour and luxury these days but this place was the absolute definition of both. My soul felt uplifted just being in the presence of such grandeur. Luckily, The Annenbergs knew that art is good for the spirt which is why they donated most of their collection to The Met and their foundation keeps their estate preserved for guests to visit and enjoy.
     I only had a 24 hour window to escape LA in between working but, somehow, I felt like I was gone for days. Spending quality time with friends without being glued to Facebook makes every moment delicious and satisfying and, it seemed, as if the hours passed by slowly and lazily. For once time really was on our side.  As much as I hated to leave I felt like this mini-vacation really helped me to turn the page onto a new chapter of my life.  Thank you universe for putting such genuine and gorgeous people in my life.
     What a difference a day makes.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are Happy And all was great. Xoxo ps I love all of The clothes what you wear until The vacation!

    ReplyDelete